Nea Odos is the concession company which has undertaken the study, design, construction, operation, exploitation and maintenance of “Ionia Odos” concession project. This inspired project is divided into two main sections and includes the construction works of the homonymous motorway – Ionia Odos – as well as of PATHE motorway.
More specifically, “Ionia Odos”, as a concession project with a total length of about 380 km, includes:
- a) the homonymous motorway “Ionia Odos” of an approximate length of 196 km from Antirio to Ioanina (interchange with Egnatia Odos),
- b) a section of PATHE motorway of an approximate length of 172,5 km from Metamorphossi Interchange to Skarfia, after Kamena Vourla,
- c) the connecting branch Schimatari – Chalkida of PATHE motorway of a total length of 11 km.
Ionia Odos constitutes the connecting branch between Antirio bridge and the interchange of Egnatia Odos at Ioanina. This motorway is of paramount importance, both at social and developmental level, since:
- It connects Western Greece with the rest of the country by significantly upgrading urban and rural centers such as Ioanina, Arta and Agrinio.
- It connects more adequately the ports of Patra, Astakos and Igoumenitsa
- It contributes to the wider development of the region by improving accessibility in areas with high tourist and archaeological interest, since upon completion of its construction, the trip from Antirio to Ioanina will last 1 hour and 40 minutes compared to 3 hours and 30 minutes needed today.
It is a project that crosses two regions and four prefectures, meets a long-existing demand, providing a new growth boost. Its technical characteristics include among others: 24 bridges of an total length of 7 km, 4 tunnels of a total length of 11,2 km, 77 underpasses and 24 overpasses.
A series of major projects is been scheduled and executed, thus turning the PATHE motorway into a modern and safe motorway. Those 172,5 km from Metamorfossi to Skarfia shall be transformed into a standard reference point both for Greek and international standards. The existing works include road widening, change of the safety barriers and new alignment at the area of Yliki, with a view to eliminating the turnings known to be dangerous, reconstruction of Interchanges, improvement of horizontal and vertical signage etc.
Apart from the construction based on the most modern, reliable international standards, a motorway – just like a living organism – requires continuous monitoring in order to be kept in excellent, safe mode. Nea Odos has undertaken the 30-year operation and maintenance of Ionia Odos concession project. The main responsibilities are the following: traffic control and monitoring as well as emergency situation management through the special Traffic Management Centers and the 24 hour patrols, the scheduling and management of the required maintenance works as well as various routine tasks such as road cleaning. More specifically, the critical sector of maintenance includes: daily inspections, scheduled and unscheduled repair works as well as maintenance works concerning the company’s vehicle fleet and its facilities.
The top priority of Nea Odos is to ensure the safety of motorway users. At the same time, our main concern is to make them feel that Nea Odos is the best possible travelling companion. In the view of offering high quality services, the company has designed and provides to the motorway users the following services: 4-digit emergency telephone number (1075), Customer Care Call Center, Emergency phones located along the motorway, 24/7 Motorist Service Stations (MSS) and free road assistance to immobilized vehicles, thus ensuring the removal of the immobilized vehicles from the motorway and their transport to a safe place.
The primary objective is to provide safe and faster transportation conditions as well as high quality services to all Greek citizens.
For more information, please consult: www.neaodos.gr