Attica Tollway is a pioneering project in Attica/Greece, constructed on a concession basis and constitutes one of the biggest co-financed road projects in Europe. It belongs to the first generation of co-financed projects awarded in Greece during the ’90s and essentially paved the way and laid the foundations for the execution of future successful concession contracts, in Greece and in other European countries.
Attica Tollway is a modern motorway extending along 70 km. It constitutes the ring road of the greater metropolitan area of Athens and the backbone of the road network of the whole Attica Prefecture. It is an urban motorway, with two separate directional carriageways, each consisting of 3 lanes and an emergency lane (hard shoulder). The suburban railway of Athens has been constructed in the central reservation of the motorway. Attica Tollway constitutes a unique piece of infrastructure, even in European terms, since it is essentially a closed toll motorway, within a metropolitan capital, where the problem of traffic congestion is acute.
Moreover, Attica Tollway:
- Forms the main backbone that links all the modes of transportation and infrastructures in the Attica region: i.e. road, air, rail and sea;
- Significantly improves traffic conditions within the capital, by absorbing a significant portion of the daily traffic moving across the Attica basin;
- Contributes to urban development and completion of physical planning in the Attica prefecture;
- Promotes the strategic restructuring of the energy and telecommunication networks;
- Contributes to the residential and business development of the remote areas of Attica.
- Cares through the consistent maintenance of the project (preventive and corrective) for safe transport of users.
- Supports with consistency and quality all services provided to users and subscribers and facilitates their daily movements.
- Seeks and enhances communication with users and the public.
For more information, please consult www.aodos.gr